Monday, October 30, 2006

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum europe vincendarum...

As I begin to embark upon a marketing strategy and demonstration project in an effort to convince Faculty that using technology in education is both exciting and beneficial to them and their students, I happened to come across a fascinating article regarding the use of mobile phones and personalised multi-media guides to archeological sites and museums in Europe; alternatively known as the Agamemnon Project co-funded by the EU. As a Classics graduate the concept enthralls me. Seriously it really does. So much so that I promptly began looking at going back to do my MA in Classics at the Open University, (unfortunately traditional college full-time is pretty much out of the question). That was until I saw the cost of doing an MA, even an on-line one. Oh my God! You have to have the letters after your name by the time you finish just so that you have some hope of landing a job that pays you a darn site more than the $200 (a figure I read from somewhere that stated post grad students could earn up to $200 more a month than their lesser under-grad counterparts. And this was an article convincining one of returning to do an MA/MBA/MSc.) extra to pay off the cost of the education. So while the desire to do a Classics MA is most definitely there the money isn't and so I went back to simply being excited about the way technology is moving forward in the Classical world. The article is taken from the IST, a fascinating site if you've not before encountered it. Hey if they need a beta tester, I'd be happy to tour the British Museum armed with my trusty 3G mobile phone :) Ooo, maybe they want someone to "do" Rome. Hey I'd happily be narrator...

A multimedia archaeological tour on your mobile phone

No comments: