Thursday, February 01, 2007

Ethyl methylphenylglycidate, ethyl Nitrate, ethyl propionate, ethyl valerbate, heliotropin, hydroxyphrenyl-2butanone...& you want me to drink that?

I always knew the American government and nutrition scientists had pulled a fast one over everyone and that processed food has a LOT to answer for in the degredation of the nation's health. And no wonder my health care costs and insurance are so bloody high - hello, ever heard of preventative rather than corrective? Renée turned me onto this article; it's compelling reading although long, but says everything I've always been trying to tell my American friends regarding diet, food and health.

Unhappy Meals - Michael Pollen, NY Times

FYI - the ingredients listed in the title are in fact some of the ingredients for the strawberry flavouring (not the milk/ice-cream or anything else) in a Burger King milkshake. These ingredients are considered by the FDA to be safe and are therefore not required to be listed out on an ingredients label. The FDA doesn’t require food additives considered to be Generally Regarded as Safe (GRAS) to be put on an ingredients label. Instead, all that is required are the words "artificial flavour" or "artificial colouring" or, and this is my favourite, "natural". And you want more reason as to why I don't east fast food. Information taken from “You Are What You Eat!” by Paul Chek.

No comments: